Sunday, May 18, 2008

Happy Birthday Madelyn!

Well, today was my girl's third birthday. I truly can not believe three years has past since I had her; it seems like just yesterday. I know that is very cliche, but it is so true. I will never forget what it was like to have her, and bringing her home for the first time. She is so grown now... so helpful with Lauren --- a wonderful sense of humor and her mommy's clumsiness --- her Daddy's eyes -- and oh, that curly hair!
I know I am so lucky to have Madelyn -- I don't remember too much of what life was like without her. I know I was a totally different person, and she has changed me for the better. Anyway, I know she was given to me for a number of reasons.

A little story, when we found out that my Gram had cancer... I prayed and prayed. I am typically not an overly religious person, but I do pray. I prayed that my Gram would live long enough to see me graduate and to have a baby. Now, at this time having babies was actually the furthest thing from my mind. I was in college, working a few jobs to get by and just really focused on 'my' future career.

A few months later, I got pregnant with Madelyn. It was unexpected, and I really didn't know how this would affect my schooling - yes, that was my first thought. Once it all sunk in, both Mike and I were super ecstatic and very eager to move on to this phase in our lives together.

Unbelieveably it fit in perfect time-wise with my schooling. I ended up having my last final on a Friday afternoon, and giving birth to Madelyn the following Wednesday. We had set up 'back up plans', but it ended up working out perfectly.

So, when I had Madelyn my Gram was undergoing treatments so she was unable to come to the hospital to see us. We left the hospital and drove directly to her house. She met little Madelyn, and I will never forget how she held her and just talked about how 'perfect' she was. She stared at her for a long time, and just fell in love with her instantly.

That was in May, and my Gram passed away in September.

She didn't get to see me graduate the following May -- a difference of a mere few months.

I didn't understand why I had made that wish; that prayer for my Gram to see me graduate. I mean, I was proud of myself and I knew she was proud of me. But this wasn't my first degree, and it was never really a topic of conversation other than in passing. So, why was it so important to me that my Gram be there.

Well, I didn't realize a few things until after they were over.

First, my prayers really WERE answered in a way. God knew my Gram wasn't going to make it to my graduation -- that is why I got pregnant. It was His way of saying, ok then -- we are going to have to mix things up here.

Secondly, it was important to me that my Gram see me graduate because I was selected to be the speaker, although I didn't know it yet when I made the wish/prayer.

So, she didn't make it to see me graduate but, see, I know she was there. I am sure of this, and only 'some' could see -- she was actually standing behind me with her hand on my shoulder the whole time. Otherwise, I am not sure I would have made it through my speech with how scared I really was.

So, Madelyn may not remember her Great Gram but BOY oh BOY do I have stories for her ;)

1 comment:

Christie said...

Well thanks a lot Rach, you made this heartless woman tear up. :)

I was close to my grandma too and she passed, unexpectedly, when I was pregnant with Kate. My grandma was so excited to meet her. I know she was there the day I had her and I know she is watching over her everyday.

That is such a great story and I'm sure MJ will love to hear it when she gets older and can really understand it.