Thursday, February 28, 2008

100th post was a sad one :(

Well, my last post was my 100th post on my blog and I really was wanting it to be funny, quirky and just all 'me-like' ROFL. But, unfortuntately the entire City of Pittsburgh is mourning the loss of the legendary Myron Cope today.

Steeler season will never be the same without him being here. His voice was unique, and when you heard it you knew you were in Steeler Country. I often would put the TV on, and turn the sound down and listen to Myron Cope on the radio.
As you may have read in my previous post, Myron is also the inventor of the TERRIBLE TOWEL. This iconic representation for Steelers fan is a must have at a game, party or any Steeler event. There are people who still have the originals (man, would I love to have one of those) ! They still sell THOUSANDS of them every year - Myron has awarded the rights of the towel to a home where his autistic son lives. So for years to come, they will reap the monetary benefits of this fan must-have. How amazing!

The reason we loved him so, was because he wasn't glitz and glamour, he didn't become a 'pseudo celebrity' - he was just an average normal every day guy with hysterical expressions, a dynamic personality, an irritating and obnoxious radio voice, but so truley loveable, true to life, a true Steeler fan, true Pittsburgher at heart - just true. He definitely called it like he saw it! A real person - a real fan calling the game.

We all knew this day would come - he wasn't a young man, but I am glad it happened during the off -season. It would be so painful for many to watch the Steelers right now.

So, Steelers have a daunting season next year - they will be expected to bring it on for Myron. And I can guarantee that a sea of yellow, the likes of which has never been seen, will sweep over Heinz field at EVERY home game in honor of our own legendary broadcaster.

Rest In Peace - Myron Cope

No comments: