Thursday, March 6, 2008

Tales from third grade...

Some days when I sub it is truly comic relief! That was today :) I love subbing in third grade specifically one class - they are always 'with it', ready to go, actively participate and are truly a class that visually represents why I love being a teacher. I do mean that!

While part of me felt bad for this kid, but I had to get that in check - he brought it on himself for thinking he was smarter than me. Bad plan: I take it personal!

So here is the scene: we have read a really great non-fiction article comparing and contrasting East Coast and West Coast spartina! Have I lost you yet? Truly, that is unimportant, I just thought I would throw it in there :) After the article, there is a practice book page that needed to be completed. It was a grammar worksheet practicing placing quotations in the correct spots of a sentence. There was probably six or seven of them - not trying or time consuming by any means. I assigned the class the page 111 in the practice book, and said I would give them some time then we would go over it as a class.

Next, I see a hand fly up in the air - the boy says, "That page is ripped out of my practice book". Now, I remember the last time I was there hearing this same sob story from this same kid. Last time, I had him look on with a neighbor and work together on it.

Fool me once, shame on me - Fool me twice, uh.... yea, that's not gonna happen! Shame on you!

This time, I asked him how that happened and probed further as to where the page could have possibly gone since they are not allowed to take these books home. He gave me a bunch of random answers about being suspending and taking the book home and it was probably his brother. I reminded him of the last time I was there, and how it was a strange coincidence that BOTH those pages seem to be missing. I asked him point blank, "Did you tear it out and put it in your desk?" - he looked me square in the face and told me no.

I assumed, incorrectly as I later found out, that he wouldn't pull this on his regular teacher whom I was subbing for.

So, I checked the book - sure enough, it was ripped out. I handed him a blank sheet of writing paper and an extra copy of the book, and told him to copy his answers on the paper. He was livid. So, I all this time the students were working on this page, and I am going back and forth with this kid. I gave him his final instructions to get to work, and walked away to prepare for the next part of the lesson while they were finishing up.

He didn't want to work so he spent the next few minutes scratching his arm until it appeared as though he had a rash. He raised his hand and said with a smirk, "I have a rash.", so I told him to go to the nurse.

The second he was out the door, I checked his desk and sure enough, I found it! It was crumbled in the back of the desk, behind all the books, in the very far corner - the practice book page. So, I took it out, uncrumbled it and placed neatly on his desk.

When he came back, I told him that it was too late for him to do it now. It seems as though he would have to come back during recess to complete it. How sad for him!

Lunch time came and I informed the teacher on duty that I wanted him in my class as soon as he was done eating, but he somehow ended up outside for recess anyway. So, you know I took my butt out there and hauled his little butt back into my room and made him do that work.

I also gave him the ol' " I am very disappointed, not because you tore the page out, but because you lied to me" line - he did apologize for lying.

Maybe other teachers would have been annoyed by this entire escapade, but I thought it was somewhat humorous! It's a fact that the kids who are challenging (notice I didn't say bad) - are my favorites! I do like kids when they have a distinct personality - even if its a challenge for me!

Kindergarten tomorrow - can't wait :) You all know how I love Kindergarten!!!

1 comment:

Christie said...

Oh my goodness I would have been livid. Serious steam coming out of my ears. I hate when kids lie. It's a pet peave of mine. Sounds like you're an amazing teacher. :0