Monday, January 28, 2008

At the Ballet

Let me first say that this kit is amazingly unique. That is why I love it. I get discouraged when I see the same elements, the same style alpha /just a different color in kits. This kit is such a breath of fresh air....

It is new from Beckie Wallace - called At the Ballet (gee, wonder why I love it).

A little history for those who don't know: I used to be a ballerina. I started going to dancing school at the age of 5. When it was time for middle school, I asked my mom if I could audition for Rogers CAPA (Creative And Performing Arts school), and she said yes. I was accepted into the school and loved every second of it. If you are old enough to remember FAME the TV show... the school really was just like that. We really did sing songs on the bus to school, dance on tables and in the hallways. It really was like that.

When I was in eighth grade I auditioned for the Lynn Swann Scholarship to the Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre School. I lucky enough to be chosen, and so Lynn Swann paid for me to attend the school where I was able to study under the most amazing Prima's and Ballet Masters.

Also at Rogers, I was invited to be a part of their traveling Musical Theater group called the 'Melody Mates', where we traveled around to different events and performed a number of different showtune numbers. I guess this is where my love of musicals comes from. All during this time I was still in dancing school, and that was when we performed Jesus Christ Superstar as a dance/opera. We didn't sing it but instead each person would dance a role. Really great. I was Peter and my cousin Deana was Jesus! All these events were life altering for me!

I attended the High School for the Creative and Performing Arts (CAPA High) for one year, but I wasn't as happy there as I was a Rogers. So I transferred to a private school where I was a member of the drill team (the Rebelettes- GO REBELS!).

But graduation is where it ended for me. I don't know why, I guess because I thought that it was childish, really dumb I know.

It wasn't until my sister started twirling in college that we got the notion of starting our own dance team. We did! Becky and I coached the South Brook Middle School Dance team together for two years, we won the title in our division both years. But then I got pregnant and had Madelyn. That threw a monkey wrench into my time allotment, and that was in addition to student teaching! So, Becky does it on her own now with the help of some former team members, who are amazing helpers! Becky has consistently won every year - and the girls continue to improve. I miss dancing, I miss being a coach and wish I could help out more, but I hate to start things I can't finish.

Some of the girls who were on our team the first year we started it will be graduating this year (SAY WHAAT???) and dang, that makes me feel old!

PRIMA - using Beckie Wallace's AT THE BALLET papers and elements.

No comments: