Wednesday, February 13, 2008

One sided friendships

I just want to put this down in writing - I am through with one sided friendships. I am not sure what it is in my personality that makes me this way, but I feel obliged to nurture a relationship. I value my friends, and the memories that go along with them. So, why is it that it seems so often I am the only one doing this?

Just for the record, I am not going to nurture and value a friendshiop on my own. I am so tired of placing my trust and value in a friendship when the other person doesn't. If we are acquaintances, thats fine too. But then say that, don't 'neeeeed me' when you need me and then disappear when you don't.

I want to say here that I am not the type of friend that needs to talk to you daily, weekly or even monthly. My closest friends know that. I like to catch up with my friends when they have time. Just like me, they have jobs and families and are very busy at times. But I want to know what is going on with you, not just continually call, email and text you to get no response whatsoever. On a side note, I realize that people go through times that they are super-ridiculously busy, or have something new in their lives and need time. I am not talking about that either, I understand that. I do that too!

So, if I call and leave you a message, at least text me back and say that you got it, and that you'll call me when you get a minute. Send me a card at Christmas!

Let me just put it this way; I am no longer going out of my way for people who wouldn't go out of their way for me. I am not calling if you don't return phone calls. I am not going to nurture our friendship for the sake of the friendship. I have enough friends that I don't need to do that.

I had a friend, who I thought was one of my best friends, ost because I didn't continue to track her butt down, call her, email her, text her every few months. Sadly, when I stopped, so did our friendship. She has seen Madelyn once, and probably doesn't even know I have Lauren. It disgusts me because she continued a sharade of a 'best friend' for so long, that I feel a loss. Unfortunately, I don't think she does.

So, at this point, I have to value my pride and my time more than the friendships. If these people truly cared about me, they would be in my life.

Nuff said about that!

No comments: